What causes chest tightness and wheezing when diagnosed with asthma?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have asthma. However lately I'll be fine for most of the day but I will get chest tightness and wheezing that is relieved by an inhaler or nebulizer. this occurs even at rest day or night. I think it might be a URI or Bronchitis. If that is the case is there anything I can do short of getting a prescription through a physician?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need antihistamine and anti inflammatory drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your concern.
Viral infection is the most common cause for upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) in asthma patient.
So along with inhaler you need antihistamine and anti inflammatory drugs for better symptomatic relief.
Also do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day.
Start steam inhalation 5-6 times a day.
Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist