question-icon

What causes chest tightness and discomfort, weight loss and episodes of atrial fibrillation?

Posted on Fri, 22 May 2015
Question: my mother is 78, had a stroke in January, has made major lifestyle changes (no refined foods, lots of greens, lost 20 lbs, walking, etc.), also on plavix, blood pressure usually around 130 over 85, sometimes less, pulse usually around 60, but this morning had an episode of pulse around 100, blood pressure 150 over 100, some discomfort and tightness in chest, but then after deep breathing, went back to regular. Has had a few episodes of atrial fib according to her recently implanted LINQ monitor. Now has blood in urine. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (57 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Your mother has experienced today chest pain with tachycardia and has also hematuria (urinating blood ).

Although the chest pain has gone away you should call emergency service and send her to ED. At ED further examinations are essential to exclude life threatening situation that may cause chest pain or hematuria.

Hope this was of help!
Wishing you and your family health!
Dr. Shehu

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist