What causes chest pressure and sore throat?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Im 53 5'10" 175 lbs. Have pressure on my chest (comes and goes, every other day or so ) , sore throat (comes and goes , usually in morning) , and sometimes more tired than usual. Had EKG and stress test, both were normal, although I have a mild mitral vale leak. what could be causing the chest pressure? could it be allergies? I also have acid reflux disease
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A differential diagnosis would be necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern, and would like to explain that those complains most probably are of an extracardiac origin (as resting ECG and cardiac stress test have excluded any major cardiac implications).

Regarding your mild mitral valve leaking, it has no clinical significance, and is frequently found on healthy persons. You don't have to worry about that.

A differential diagnosis is necessary to find the right cause of your actual complains.

A complete blood count test coupled with a PCR are necessary to rule out any possible inflammations.

A chest X rays study (pulmonary as well as a backbone profile), would clarify any identifiable reasons.

Severity of the esophageal acid reflux may be an important cause to identify (as a source of chest and throat discomfort).

I recommend you to consult an internist for a comprehensive evaluation of your clinical status and a carefully scheduled differential diagnosis.

Meanwhile you could try an antisecretory gastric therapy to relieve potential complains of acid reflux (a PPI like Pantoprazole, omeprazole, etc).

You look a bit overweighted. So, I would advise to be careful with your diet, and physically active.

Hope to have been helpful to you.

Feel free to ask me whenever you need. Greetings! Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist