What causes chest pain with burning sensation?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor:

I get chest pain with burning feeling just about daily no sob, do get heartburn and regurgitation, belch a lot and pass a lot of gas. The pain varies in location, center under breasts across the upper chest, epigastric, saw cardio for check up about 3 months ago ekg normal triglycerides normal; cholesterol 229. It sometimes hurts when changing position, like bending or twisting. Just don't understand why it hurts just a about every day. The pain is very sharp but only lasts a few seconds. Most of the times its less than one minute. It just scares me thinking its cardo.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its a reflux disease

Detailed Answer:
hello,
It's a reflux disease called as gerd or gastroesophageal reflux disease. It's a condition where acid from the stomach reflux back to esophagus leading to spasm of esophagus leading to sharp, short lived pain. It also leads to chest burning, bloating, burning, sour water feeling in the throat which is nothing but the acid. Cardiac pain would be typically occurring on exertion and relieves with rest and persisting for 5-10 min. Cardiac pain can occur at rest with heart attack but it would be very severe, persisting longer and ecg would show the changes. So I think you should not worry about it and your symptoms are not cardiac. However, considering your ecg was normal, you should once get stress test done either a treadmill test if able to run or stress thallium scan, just for assurance and to rule out mild initial heart disease.For treatment, you should avoid fatty, oily and high spicy diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest or lying down. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. Elevate head end of the bed during sleep.
You should get prescribed tab Pan DSR 40 mg beforebreakfast once a day for 2 weeks. Also, syr sucral O or gelusil two teaspoon three times a day for a week.
However, your cholesterol is on higher side, so need to have healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high calorie diet. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly and should not be persistently more than 140/90 mmhg. Regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according your capacity atleast 30 min a day and 5 days a week. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week, avoid meat. There shouldn't abdominal fat deposition or obesity. Get your repeat lipid profile after 6 weeks and sugars tested once..
I think, you should also get prescribed statin therapy prescribed like tab Rosuvastatin 5 mg or Atorvastatin 10 mg bedtime for both cholesterol and also multiple beneficial effects on heart. Get back if you have any further doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad