What causes chest pain with breathing difficulty after drinking soda?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi! 4 days ago, I woke up with pain in my chest and around to my back. Breathing was difficult and shallow. I don't know if this is related or not, but at the same time, if I drank a soda, the liquid burned, from the beginning of my throat, all the down and in my back also. This has been very painful, can you give me some idea what might be going on? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you associate the pain with soda intake, most probable reason of your symptoms is acid reflux. Due to stomach acid regurgitation to the esophagus and throat, you can have chest burning, chest pain, nausea, throat pain. If the acid reflux is the case, temporal relief should give mineral water intake (you should feel a relief with water going down the esophagus).
The other possibility is that your heart has given such symptoms. Heart pain usually radiate to the left arm or jaw, dizziness, shortness of breath and sweating should be present.

If heart problem is rather hardly possible, please try some diet first. Avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, chocolate, orange juices. If this will help, acid relfux it is, if not, please consult your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.