What causes chest pain while sneezing or coughing?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: The left side of my chest has been hurting since last night. Specifically, when I take a deep breath, sneeze or cough or stretch that area. The pain is not in the chest muscle, but feels deep, possible the heart. I am suffering no other ill effects or symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First thing: EKG; pls also reply to a few of my questions

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Of course, the first thing any doctor would/should advise you for your left sided chest pain is to get an EKG conducted and rule out any cardiac ailments that are the more serious possible causes for such a presentation.

But along with this, I would also like to get a little more information if you do not mind taking some time out to reply to my questions:

+Do you have any heartburn?
+Long gaps between meals?
+Please rate your stress levels on a scale from 0 to 5; 0 being extremely relaxed and stress free, and 5 being extremely stressed all the time
+Do you have any abdominal bloating at times?
+Excessive burping?
+How much water do you drink in a day?
+Do you smoke? If yes, did you smoke a lot or on an empty stomach before your symptoms began?
+Chew gum regularly?
+Alcohol?
+Did you have spicy, fatty, oily or fried food before your symptoms began?
+Did you have any carbonated drinks when your symptoms began?

I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you further.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Thank you for the fast response. Here is answers to your follow up questions.
I have no heartburn.
I eat every 4-5 hours.
Stress level would be rated at 3-4. I am a corrections lieutenant.
I have no abdominal bloating.
I have no excessive burping.
I do not smoke.
I do not chew gum regularly.
I do drink about a 12 pack a week, but not everyday. (Beer)
Spicy food is common in my diet but none before my symptoms started.
No carbonated drinks before the symptoms started.

The symptoms started approximately 20 hours ago and have not became worse or better.

Thank you for your concern.

I am currently at work and will finish my shift in four hours. Is this something I should be seen for immediately or after my shift ends? Thank you again..
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, pls do get an EKG done

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

With the currently provided information, I would think it would be best for you to get yourself checked, mainly an EKG; and get a doctor to read it for you right there. If at all, you cannot meet a doctor then send me the EKG immediately.

Best wishes.