• question-icon

What causes chest pain while coughing or sneezing along with heavy breathing?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I went jogging yesterday morning. It was humid and I think I overdid it. I felt fine while jogging but yesterday evening I noticed a slight discomfort in my chest. At rest, I feel OK but if I cough or sneeze, it hurts. It also hurt this morning when I was doing push-ups. Also, today when I went to take the garbage out, it felt like I was breathing slightly heavier than usual. Otherwise, I don't feel short of breath though. I'm not sure if I even was breathing heavier or if this was just in my mind. One more piece of information is that a few months ago I had something similar - occasional chest discomfort although it wasn't as pronounced as it is now from coughing and sneezing. I had a heart stress test done then and it came back fine. The fact that I thought I might have been slightly short of breath walking outside is worrying me a little. I was able to breathe fine when jogging yesterday though. So I just want to know what is going on. Do I have a lung or breathing problem? Is this just a chest muscle sprain? Do I need to go see a doctor? Other than what I mentioned above, I feel fine.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think this is problematic for now

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic,

I have gone carefully through your concern and I can understand your concern.

As you've explained the history, it seems to me that this discomfort is not likely to be related to lung problems. It might be a muscle contraction probably you have exerted a little more in jogging.

The fact that you have excluded heart problems is a good thing too.

I don't think you should see your doctor for the moment and it's not something wrong with your lungs.

If this discomfort lasts and continues every day than you should consult your doctor for further examinations if needed.

So don't worry so much and keep monitoring the situation.

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist