Owl Image

What causes chest pain when i raise arm?

Owl Image
Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Question
On Friday I woke up in the morning and the right side of my chest hurt when I turned or raised my arm. The next day it was a little better but is very sore in the mornings. This is the third day and once again when I woke up it was very tight when I tried to stretch it out. Could this be from sleeping wrong. I do not have any other symptoms like coughing or anything. Also breathing is not a problem.
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to sleeping in the wrong posture.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

Yes it does appear to be because of sleeping in the wrong posture since you have no other symptoms. It should improve soon . Meanwhile you may take a pain killer.

However, if the pain does not subside soon or increases in intensity I would suggest that you should atleast get a chest xray done to rule out any underlying pathology or consult your PCP.

Follow-up: What causes chest pain when i raise arm? 8 minutes later
How much time should i give it. Friday morning was the worse it felt but it was still a little sore the last couple of days. As the day wears on it gets less noticeable but i still feel it when i turn a certain way. For some reason i was worried it was a tumor, i tend to be a hypochondriac.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait foe a week.

Detailed Answer:

It does not look like tumour.

It is most likely because of sleeping posture.

Wait for a week and if still persisting then do as said.

Thanks.