• question-icon

What causes chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, excessive belching and weakness?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Here are a list of my symptoms. Some began as long as 3 years ago but gradually have been increasing:
1.     Uneasy sensation in lower chest upper abdomen – increasing over the years
2.     Periodic pain unspecific – increasing
3.     Shortness of breath after minor exertion – new recently - last few months
4.     Periodic need to take a deep breath – new recently - last few months - increasing
5.     “Thickness” in throat just below jaw with a feeling that airway is being constricted – recent in last few months - increasing
6.     Run out of breath in normal conversations – recently – 2 or 3 months
7.     Looking up feeling dizzy – recently last 2 months
8.     Increasing need to belch - increasing
9.     Inability to fully yawn (like I used to be able to do) – feels like a muscular constriction – recently last 5 to 6 months
10.     Inability to hit certain notes make certain sounds – recently last 2 to 3 months
11.     Upset stomach – increasing
12.     Sour taste in my mouth – recently last 5 to 6 months
13.     After speaking too long and getting short of breath became dizzy and vision “dimmed” – 2 times recently – last 2 months
In 1985 to 1987 I worked in the office of a manufacturing facility that manufactured truck brakes and used asbestos. I recently had an echo cardiogram that showed no problems.

Could you please provide a list of the types of illness that may be causing these symptoms?

Additional info:
Current meds: Amlodipine & losartan for blood pressure (5 years). Prilosec for acid reflux (8 years). Aveed for low testosterone (various other therapies for past 15 years). Simvistatin for cholesterol (6 years). CPAP for sleep apnea for past 15 years.

Height 6'1" Wt 249 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed investigation required

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Going through your symptoms there are two possibilities-
1)Cardiac disease- Conoronary aretery disease or valvular disease.
Heart is suppied by three major vessels called coronaries blockage in them can hamper blood supply to a particular area.
This comprimised blood supply leads to motion abnormality in heart wall causing congestive cardiac failure symptoms of which include-
Shortness of breath.
Chest pain off abd on
Dizziness weakkness fatigue lassitute.

As echo cardiogram is normal possiblity is that it can either be gastric(Gastritis) or respiratory.
Howerver a stress thallium should be done to completely eliminate the possibiity.

Asbestosis-

Asbestosis is a chronic inflammatory and scarring disease affecting the tissue of the lungs. People with the condition may experience severe shortness of breath and are at an increased risk for certain cancers, including lung cancer and, less commonly, mesothelioma.To rule of this a CT scan is suggested.

It an be reflux problem also-
T rule out its possibility
High-resolution esophageal manometry should be done. Using a catheter inserted down your esophagus, muscle contractions in your esophagus are measured when you swallow water.
Endoscopy- To visualise esophagus and stomach.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), also known as acid reflux, occurs when acid or other stomach contents back up in the esophagus. The most common symptom of GERD is heartburn, shortness of breath and nausea.

Thin area of narrowing in the lower esophagus can intermittently cause difficulty swallowing foods. So my primary differencial in your case is Gastroesophageal reflux disease.History of heartburn is also suggestive of GERD. As per standard text books one of the classical complaint of patient of GERD is -"feel like i have food stuck in throat or like food is choking or throat is tight."

So you have to go for extensive investigations to rule out the basic cause.
Hope i was helpful.

Thansk

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist