• question-icon

What causes chest pain, shortness of breath and pain in the left hand?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Doctor,

Male XXXXXXX
35 Years
Height 175 cm
Weight 84.5 KG
LifeStyle: Sedentary
Office Hours: Night Shifts (7 PM to 4 AM) - 12 years, but not a very stressful job.

Today I got my ECG and 2D Echocardiography.
ECG was fine, but I am little concerned about my 2D Echocardiography
Blood Pressure was normal at the time of ECG
Sugar was: 180 at the time of ECG

Reason: shortness of breath, mild pain in left hand and mild chest pain. Chest pain was not constant, it was a kind of pinching type for a second and goes away. It has been 3 days now I have shortness of breath.

Existing Condition:
Mild Asthma usually accounts in October and May.
Medication: no medication at the moment and I only take asthma inhalers in Oct and May.

blood glucose hba1c: 7.2

Alcohol Intake: 2 Beer a day (Average) whiskey in winters or occasionally.

Please let me know the status of my Heart

Regards.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minor changes in echo, which are probably due to high blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
I've reviewed the reports,

Echocardiography is overall normal, with certain minor changes. Not a worrisome matter. The change is, slight thickening if heart wall, which is usually secondary to high or borderline elevated blood pressure. This leads to a compensatory increase in thickness of the wall in order to pump blood against high blood pressure.

You didn't mention anything regarding blood pressure here. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week then once or twice a week. If bp is persistently more than 140/90 mmHg, then you should be on medicines for it. Cut down smoking(if at all do) and alcohol too.

As I can see you are overweight with BMI of 27.6, so needs to focus on weight loss.

The probable reason for chest pain is reflux disease, which is causing chest as well as shortness of breath which occurs when acid enters the lung. Also, asthma could be a cause for it. Symptoms don't support heart as a cause of chest pain.

You should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest.
You should have tab Pan DSR 40 mg or esomeprazole domperidone combination before breakfast once a day for 2 weeks. If not adequately relieved, then you should add Syp. Sucral O or Gelusil two teaspoon three times a day for a week.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 31 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

My Blood pressure was normal 130/80 at the time of echo. My blood pressue is usually in normal range and usually my resting heart rate is between 55 - 75.

little dizziness/giddy at times, may be when I get little worried in these three days.

Tinnitus episoded with dizziness in 2 months. I experience sudden Tinnitus twice in a two months where I was in a resting position. I felt like I will faint and I could hear s strange buzzing sound in both ears. I was there for 5 to 10 minutes.

Rgards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Episodes of near fainting and other symptoms were probably vasovagal

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

The episodes which you have had, of near fainting and buzzing sound, are probably vasovagal episodes, which is a reflex phenomenon where transiently either blood pressure or pulse or both may decrease thus decreasing blood supply to brain.

The reason for this are dehydration and low fluid intake, uncontrolled blood sugars and excessive stress. So have plenty of water and avoid dehydration as you are more prone to it due to excessive urination. Avoid stress and have rest for sometimes, avoid driving if such episodes recur.

Overall, does not seem to be a matter of concern.

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist