question-icon

What causes chest pain lasting for 30 minutes?

Posted on Wed, 18 May 2016
Question: I had chest pain & pressure last night lasted maybe 30mins then let up and just was kinda there. Woke up this morning and it was pretty much gone. Could it be a heart attack? I'm 31, 5' and 280ish
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Unlikely. age less for the same

Detailed Answer:
Hello, thanks for posting in HCM.

Heart attack or what we call as myocardial ischemia, if comes it will not be relieved and wouldn't go unless some medical intervention is done.
As you had chest pain for only 30 mins and then you felt fine, it goes against heart attack.
But from your description you mentioned you height as 5' and weight 280 lbs which is quite more for that stature. You need to cut down weight and be in normal BMI range.
The pain you felt might be just gastric in origin caused by gastritis. Doesn't seem a serious issue.
Just have a gap of 1 hour between your dinner and your sleep time which will take care of the problem.

I also recommend simple ECG which is essential to rule out any cardiac condition. It will also give you some psychological relief.

I hope I have answered your query well. If you have any more further query kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Abhijit Sonawane