What causes chest pain in a patient with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I am a 75 year old woman just diagnosed with dysautonomia and hypertrophic cardiopathy. After i left the cardiologist's office i remembered when I was a teenager i had shortness of breath after sports activity so I gave them up. And i'd get fatigued. Also, for approximately 40 years i have chest pain like a vise squeezing my chest for a few minutes. i feel alarm but i rest and it goes away. it happens only when i'm up on my feet and only from 3 to 5 times a year. i always wrote it off as something esophageal, never mentioned to a doctor (can't believe that). My question is could that pain have been caused by the hypertrophic cardiopathy. The last time i got the pain was about a month ago. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the pain could have been due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:
1. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is an inherited condition. Yes, you could be having it since childhood and it could have been the symptoms of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
2. It can present with shortness of breath after sports activity and is one of the known causes of sudden death in athletes.
3. Sometimes it can present with palpitations too.
4. Now, need to avoid strenuous exercises.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist