What causes chest pain, ear ache, fever and sore throat?

Posted on Mon, 9 Jun 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am being treated for a uti, with wbc >100 in urine tests. I do not have burning, frequency or constant voiding. I do have a fever for over a week, between 99 and 101. I have chest pain bilaterally on ingesting, back teeth hurt when biting and ear ache. I am on 1000 mg cipro daily. Not feeling better after two days. Any other ideas?
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urine Culture may be needed

Detailed Answer:
More than 100 pus cells in urine does indicate significant infection, but I hope Ciprofloxacin had been started after a urine culture has been done because resistance to Ciprofloxacin has been high in recent years, and a urine culture now might not indicate the original pathogen, and also a new antibiotic may not work in view of earlier treatment with Cipro. But if you are not having any lower urinary symptoms such as burning pain or frequency, your urine infection might be on its wane.
Another issue is why you are not feeling well - All the symptoms you have mentioned suggest that the origin of your fever might be the upper respiratory tract or sinuses as well, so I hope you are trying some warm saline gargles, steam inhalations to clear stuffy nose, and maybe use some anti-histamines to reduce secretions. But if you have been on drugs for over a week and your fever still is around 100, it wold be time to get tests like CBC, ESR, Chest -Ray, basic blood tsts like sugars and Creatinine, and an Ultrasound of abdomen to see if the kidneys show any swelling or any other pathology.
Chest pain on ingestion could indicate gastric upset with acidity, and you should find benefit with use of antacids and drugs like Pantoprazole.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 11 hours later
Shoulder pain and chest pain is on inhalation,(breathing in) not ingestion. My mistake. I am not any better this morning. I have never had any symptoms of a uti, which was why I was surprised at the original diagnosis. I am drinking lots of water, but there is not any corresponding increase in urine output. In fact it is probably decreased. I have no appetite--maybe because of the water I'm consuming. I have had a cbc, but the doctor said my sed rate would no doubt be high but wouldn't give enough specific information. The cbc was pretty normal. I had been on iv antibiotics, vancomycin and invanz for 2 months now on doxycycline, reduced recently to 1 100mg pill a day. No signs of mersa, but that is always a concern.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May need pulmonologist opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
You have not mentioned if you have had a chest X-ray taken, but i would suggest that you do get one straight away if not done earlier. As a matter of fact, I would suggest that you meet a pulmonologist and see if they would advice a CT Chest with High resolution, as pain on deep inspiration certainly indicates lung / pleural pathology which is probably the reason why you are not feeling well. I doubt if any community acquired urinary tract infection can persist after having been treated with good antibiotics like Vancomycin and Invanz for a fairly long duration, and the solution to your present problem does not look to be the lower urinary tract, though I would still recommend at least an ultrasound scan of the abdomen if it has not been performed recently.
Please let me know if you have further issues to discuss.

Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 36 hours later
Thank you for your good advise. I called my doctor who sent me to the er and I went for a workup on Sunday. They did a chest scan, xray, multiple blood tests and took samples for culures. I was admitted with a diagnosis of pneumonia and uti. I am currently on iv antibiotics and feeling better.
Again thank you.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Glad to know you are OK. Let me know if you have any doubts. Will be a pleasure to help.
Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist