What causes chest pain and vomiting?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have had chest pian and puking all day the chest pian started yesterday the puking started last night about 9pm i cant keep any water or anything down
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
fluids, hold solids, probiotics, pepto , pepcid

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Nausea and vomiting is usually associated with epigastric or lower abdominal pain. The epigastrium is the area in the upper abdomen, just below the sternum

Pain in the chest may imply that the esophagus is inflamed or irritated

These symptoms are most commonly due to a viral infection and last on a few days usually.

Treatment: (1) hold off all solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms

when this occurs, use small amounts of dry foods

(2)probiotics help to shorten the course

(3)fluids to help replace what you are losing and also to help to reduce the acid in the body ,this helps to reduce vomiting

Fluids such as oral rehydration solutions or sports drinks should be used to give back fluids and electrolytes

Use small amounts frequently initially, large amounts would cause vomiting. IN the first hour, use 1 tsp to 1 tbs every 5 mins, if this is tolerated, increase the amount

(4)meds such as pepto bismol or dramamine would help with the vomiting

Meds such as pepcid or zantac would help with any irritation/inflammation of the esophagus or stomach

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions