What causes chest pain and shortness of breath?
Cardiac evaluation needed
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
A cardiac cause of the chest pain and shortness of breath on exertion needs to be ruled out, first. An EKG and echocardiogram should be done to look for any abnormality. A chest x ray would also be required to assess the rib cage and lungs. Its a good choice on your part to have decided on quitting the drugs you mentioned. I hope you stay strong at it. If the EKG, Echo and Chest X ray are normal then an Ultrasound of the abdomen should be done to look for gall bladder and pancreatic pathology ( based on the alcohol history ). In the meanwhile NSAIDs can be prescribed along with PPIs to empirically look for improvement in chest pain , if its associated with GERD or costochondritis, in consultation with your doctor.
Wishing you best of health
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes chest pain while breathing with palpitations
- Bloated stomach with chest pain shortness of breath causes
- What causes chest pain with breathing difficulty
- What is the cause for intermittent chest pain
- What causes pleurisy chest pain
- What causes chest pains tightness and abnormal breathing
- What is the cause of chest pain and cough
- What is the cause of chest pain with dizziness
- What causes headache with the chest pain
- What causes back and chest pain