What causes chest pain and shortness of breath despite taking medications?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son is having asthma induced by rigorous exercise. He has begun taking Singulair and a steroidal inhaler. He continues to complain about the pain mid-chest and being short of breath. He plays soccer. He has had an EKG which showed normal rhythms.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The chest pain can be due to lung cause. It will not affect the EKG.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concerns. Most often such chest pain is caused due to a condition called pleurisy where the pleura gets inflamed. The pleura consists of two covering layers of the lung, one attached to the lung itself and the other lying attached to the inner side of the chest wall. As the lungs expand and contract, there is friction between the layers of the pleura thus giving rise to the chest pain and shortness of breath. In such a case, it will not cause any changes in the EKG.

The medicines are proper and he needs to continue taking them.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Thank you so much! I'm wondering, how long the time frame should be to start seeing relief. And, should he play soccer under these conditions. He started the meds five days ago.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take some time for the probelems to be resolved

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

It might take a few weeks for the pain to get resolved. You would have to be patient. Cold may be a precipitating factor for his problems and so environmental protection might be necessary. Playing soccer should not be a problem. But he should not over-exert and it should be ok so long as he does not get the pains. If he gets the pains, it might be worthwhile to pause playing soccer for a few more days.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician