• question-icon

What causes chest pain and headache?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a dull ache/pain on the far right side of my chest and every so often my heart feels as though it is fluttering. I also have a headache. My BP is 99/55 with a pulse rate of 45. I cycled 22 miles late this afternoon and it did not make it worse.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to coronary artery disease. The location of the pain and the fact that cycling for such a long trip did not trigger your symptoms is another argument to exclude coronary artery disease.

But, your actual blood pressure values and heart rate are a little low. This could be because you are an active person. You should know that sport persons normally have a lower heart rate and blood pressure values, because of the new balance achieved in their body from the regularly performed physical activity.

I would like to know more on your mean blood pressure and heart rate values? Is it common for you to have such low blood pressure and heart rate values through the day, or this something new for you?

This heart rate could be indicative of bradycardia. The fact that you are feeling some heart fluttering could indicate arrhythmia.

Dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance could be the cause of arrhythmia too (you have cycled such a long trip and I think you have been sweating a lot).

The dull chest pain in the right side could be a musculo-skeletal pain or pain related to the biliary ways or liver.

Does deep breathing trigger your chest pain? This would be indicative of a musculo-skeletal pain.

What about eating spicy food? If the pain was triggered by eating, this could indicate a liver or biliary tract disorder (inflammation or gallbladder stones).

Coming to this point, if this situation persists, I would recommend going to the ER for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound (considering your low heart rate)
- cardiac enzymes
- a chest X ray study
- complete blood count, ESR, PCR for inflammation
- fasting glucose
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes
An abdominal ultrasound may be needed in case of abnormal liver function tests or abnormal physical exam.

You should discuss with the doctor on the above issues.

Meanwhile, I recommend having some rest and taking plenty of water.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist