What causes chest pain and back pain?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 26 May 2014 in Heart Attack
Question: chest pain that come and go

I starting to have a pain in the middle of my chest and it feel like it queezing for a few secomd then it disappear. the pain started yesterday while I was driving home from work. Beside the pain I have no other symptoms. Then later that night I started having back cramp and it on my left upper back and it hurted for a few minute. Im 26 and no family history of heart disease. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It is necessary to rule out heart problems at first. Typical heart pain is located in the left chest side. It appears as a burning or squeezing, radiates to the left arm or jaw. Shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness and fear can appear.
If your pain is well localized, and is stabbing like, rib nerve problem is more probable.
If you have also some nausea, the pain is associated with meals, acid reflux disease is also possible.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, and have heart ECG done at first along with heart enzymes. This is necessary to make sure that the heart is fine.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Thanks for the answer doctor. I did have some ecg and bloodworks done and all came back normal. The pain is usually on my left chest but sometime on my right chest also but it only last for a few second and i do experience shoulder pain as well. So if I did have ecg and bloodwork and the result normal that mean my heart is fine right?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Normal ecg means that no heart ischemia is present. As you are young person, any heart problem is hardly possible.
Rib nerve problem soynds most probable. Please try to stop breathing for a moment next time when the pain will appear. If this will help with the pain, rib nerve issue it is.
If the pain is asociated with foods intake, acid reflux disease or gallstones should be considered.

Regards.