What causes chest pain and acid reflux that worsen after alcohol consumption?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Chest pain and acid reflux, really bad but goes away when i have a drink, also pain in back and throat
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proper medication and life style change would help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query my dear,
Most likely your symptoms are because of Gatro esophageal reflux disease (GERD),It is a chronic digestive disease. GERD occurs when stomach acid or, occasionally, stomach content, flows back into your food pipe . The backwash irritates the lining of your esophagus and causes, heart burn,chest pain and intense burning sensation in throat.Both acid reflux and heart burn are a part of GERD.The presence of gastritis has proved additive to your symptoms.
Advice
If the problem is caused by previous irritation from acid reflux, I recommend the following:

1. Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day. Zantac is an acid reducer that decreases acid production by 70%, allowing the tissues to heal. You may need to take this for a month or longer. I prefer Zantac to the proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Prilosec, etc) because it is safer and does not have the risk of discontinuation rebound hyperacidity when it is stopped.

2. Do not lie down for 2-3 hrs after eating.

3. Avoid acidic foods - citrus, tomatoes, juices

4. Decrease caffeine (colas, coffee) and sodas in general.

5. Decrease alcohol or completely stop it.

6. If you smoke cigarettes, now is the time to stop. They increase acid production and delay healing.

7. If you are overweight through the middle, that increases the risk of reflux. Try to decrease your weight (if overweight) slowly over time.

8. Eat smaller amounts at a time so there is less pressure in the stomach which can reflux acid into the stomach.

9. Avoid eating/drinking mint (it relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter which can allow more acid up).

If these changes don't help enough, it is time to see your doctor. Your dr. may want you to have an endoscopy (visualizes the esophagus, stomach, with a fiberoptic tube), or manometry (pressure testing of the esophagus).

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T