What causes chest pain after CABG surgery?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi May I ask... My Father underwent CABG surgery and had 4 graftings on 26.12.2013. Now after 3 months he is complaining of pain in chest many times in a day and when he does little walk the pain even go sometimes to shoulder and left hand. My father is diabetic. When he was discharged from hospital after the bye pass surgery ...his ecg was only done...no post operative angiography or echo was performed The cardiologist told that it may be arthritic pain as my father have issues of gout and his uric acids some times goes up. So we went to orthopaedic doctor and rather he asked to rule out the involvement of heart after the surgery did we underwent echo test or post op. angiography....now advise what to do...as father is having pains in chest , shoulder and hand and further confusion is created...
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get his Uric acid and Xray Shoulder Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. This really becomes trouble some if your father is having pain even after a CABG. The way you are describing the pain, it seems more of Cardiac Origin. As you typically mentioned that pain increases on walking and also pain radiates to shoulder and arm. A pain due to arthritis would be constant. And it can be differentiated easily by simply pressing that area, if there is tenderness in his shoulder or arm on pressing them with slight pressure, this pain might be due to arthritis as pain of cardiac origin won't get increased on pressing that area as it is referred pain. Also, it can be muscular pain due to following two reasons: 1. Surgical site pain, as incision is big over the chest (sternum) 2. He must be on Statins (Atorvastatin, Rosuvastatin). Statins in high doses can cause muscular pain, but usually those pains are generalized. I would also suggest you to simply get his X ray Shoulder and Uric Acid levels, that would tell you the picture of the joint and Uric acid. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD