Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

What causes chest muscle pain?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 1126 Questions
I am feeling a sort of muscle pain in my chest. When I turn around, or when I stretch my hands I feel that pain. Earlier I had experienced internal chest pain (near my heart area), had nausea like feeling. I had gone through echo-cardiography and stress test(TMT), but there were no abnormalities recorded. Although the test results are negative, I still feel that pain inside.Can you please help? Is it due to stress?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could be of musculoskeletal region. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX The chest pain described by you appears to be of musculoskeletal origin. It does not appear to be because of your heart and since your echo and tmt are normal, it further rules it out to be of cardiac origin. You may get a x ray of chest done to see if your lungs are healthy. There are many other causes of chest pain but for the time being take a pain killer and apply some local heat. I do hope you do not suffer from acidity and reflux disease. Best would be to consult your physician who can examine you and advise you accordingly. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes chest muscle pain? 1 hour later
Hi. I have a habit of smoking. My chest x-ray is normal. Moreover, sometimes I feel a pain in my arms and my lower jaw feels numb and tired. Is it due to stress? I have got a psychological problem also. Is it due to cardiac issues or is it a psychological issue?If I cough, I sometimes feel the pain. Can i breathe easy that there is no cardiac issue?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 33 hours later
Brief Answer: There is a psychological element to it. Detailed Answer: Your symptoms are very vague and do not fit into any particular disease entity. There appears to be a pschosomatic element to it as you are worried and stressed. As suggested, do take some pain killers for the time being. Since smoking is an issue and if you are really concerned, you may go in for higher cardiac evaluation tests like CT angio of heart; but only after consulting your cardiologist and on his advice. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor