• question-icon

What causes chest discomfort?

Posted on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi ... let me see how i can ask this ?... lately i have had this disscomfort in my chest a pain that comes and go's, it's not real bad but it gets my attention. and i notice that when i exert myself sometimes i feel it... i get winded so easy sometimes just from bending over i have to take a deep breath. could it be my heart? i know i'm not in the best shape. i weigh about 240, could it be i'm just out of shape. a couple of months ago i went to the hospital because my left arm was hurting turns out it wasn't my heart.... do you have any idea's what the problem might be? I'm 55 yr old male
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need a cardiac evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

A chest discomfort or pain is always reason for concern and needs evaluation.
There are some conditions that can cause chest discomfort including:
-Heart disease (Coronary artery disease)
-Esophagus disease (acid reflux)
-Lung disease.

As you can see there are a lot of causes for a chest pain or discomfort but in every case the first thing to be ruled out is heart disease.
A chest discomfort that starts in effort,exercises and goes away if you stop ,it is more likely to be from heart.

If I were your treating doctor I would first try to rule out heart disease.
I would have ordered a cardiac evaluation : EKG, Stress test, Heart ultrasound , Lipidic profile ,Blood sugar .
Once excluded heart disease ,I would take in consideration the other possibilities (acid reflux).

I suggest you to consult a physician and get examined as soon as possible ,just in case.
Don't neglect these symptoms you are having.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have other questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati