What causes chest congestion, fatigue, cough, yellowish phlegm, fever and elevated heart rate?

Question
My husband has been sick for 5 days, he has chest congestion, fatigue, hacking cough, some yellow phlegm, 101 fever and elevated heart rate of 100. He has had bronchitis previously, I'm concerned about pneumonia. What should he take or be doing to help?
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
pneumonia is possible

Detailed Answer:

although in most cases patients with such symptoms have milder diseases, pneumonia cannot be excluded. Fever and cough makes pneumonia possible regardless of other symptoms. A high heart rate is also an indicator of serious disease. 100 is not normal but it's not too high either. The best mode of action in cases like his is to visit a doctor for clinical examination. The doctor may detect clinical signs of pneumonia (like crackles in auscultation). A chest X-ray will confirm or exclude this diagnosis. If pneumonia is confirmed then antibiotic treatment will be required.

Other symptoms or signs that may favor the diagnosis of pneumonia include shortness of breath, pleuritic pain on inspiration, increased number of breaths per minute (more than 20), confusion, low blood pressure, reduced urine output, etc.

You can't do anything that may help with pneumonia at home...

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!