What causes chest congestion and cough while treating bronchitis?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: i had the flu last week, and had to miss work.
i could not sleep laying in bed, even when i elevated my pillows.
i had a lot of mucous in my lungs, and had coughing spells all night.
I thought that i was feeling better yesterday, but had the same problem last night.
i'm still coughing up mucous today, and had to miss work again.
please advise
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of bronchitis is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of bronchitis is more likely.
Bronchitis is inflammation of airways. It is common after viral upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) like flu.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You will mostly improve with inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
Oral mucinex (N acetyl cystine) is also beneficial.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 28 minutes later
Thank You
I didn't know what to do.
Now, I do.
I will call to set up an appointment.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am glad that my advice is helping you.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic..
It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.