• question-icon

What causes chest congestion along with migraine and joint pain?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: 11 year old boy chronic wet junky mucus production from chest. began in K and now still has it in grade 6. 6 years of non stop productive Constant cough non stop! every time he coughs it up within 3-5 5min it all comes back again. milky white or yellow in color. thick or milky. lots of joint pain, monthly migraines, bed wetting too (just in case it means anything). feels like hes drowning in mucus. mainly lung area not nose. cystic fibrosis negative, CT and xray negative, ct had non significant atelectasis. went to ent and allergy testing too. ent said once drug resistant streptococcous pneaumonia. sputnum got tested and came back normal flora. lyme negative too. MTHFR gene
i also wanted you to know that he had sinus surgery bc htey insisted it was that and nothing changed, he has taken steroids and that made no change. the pulm. drs sent him to ent. they cultured his nose and said streptococcus. , has taken ots of antibiotics as a child re this and nothing made it better. not even the strongest antibiotics. got sent to allergist and that was all negative.. i think its either smethign encapsulated that hsi body is harboring and trying to beat and we cant see it! or kidneys or other organ not doign something right. i know the blood work sent was 2 years ao but it was detailed. all recent bloodwork for regular things docs look at were all normal limits.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think it's due to infection

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern well.

After going through the details and reports to me it does not appear to be due to any infection.
If there would've been an infection there must be some finding in CT, blood report with some other clinical symptoms like fever, poor weight gain or poor activity.

It might be due to some allergy as it is difficult to find out the exact allergen even after thorough investigation.

I would request you to consult your ENT doctor or an allergist/immunologist for a better result.

Please get back to me if you have any more queries.
Wishing for his good health.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology