What causes chest and stomach pain while on medication for stomach ulcer?

Posted on Sat, 20 Dec 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am still not feeling that great. I am now on medication for a possible stomach ulcer that might have caused the internal bleeding and been caused by or made worse by the warfarin, medication for pericarditis or pleursy (they don't know which) which was likely caused by the PE or the warfarin, and the warfarin. I have a lot of constant pain in my chest, which is worse at night so it is hard to sleep, and pain in my stomach, so I am tired all the time.
Please suggest PROGNOSIS
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Conditions treatable and prognosis is not bad

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Welcome to HCM
I understand your concern.
There are a couple of issues but don't worry they are not unmanageable.
The reason for the GI bleed could be either an inflammation or ulcer produced by acid or a non steroidal ant-inflammatory drug (NSAID) you might have received for pain relief of your chest condition. These areas would bleed if you blood is made very thin with warfarin. If you are on a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) like Pantoprazole, the lesion would heal and the bleeding would stop.
If your blood hemoglobin has not dropped, it is not a large bleed and your body will compensate for it soon. It is important that you stop all NSAID pain killers.
Also do not take a spicy food, coffee or alcohol or acidic foods like lemon which can slow the healing.

If you have only chest pain without breathlessness or raised heart rate, the pain may be only due to a pleurisy. There is nothing to worry regarding a bad prognosis.
If there is increased heart rate, breathlessness, ECG changes, pulmonary embolism is possible. You can get a ventilation - perfusion scan and a CT pulmonary angiogram for confirmation/ exclusion. Also you blood D-Dimer level would be high.
If you have the latest results with you, I can interpret them for you.
Relax, the prognosis is not bad.

Dr. Noble Zachariah