What causes cheesy white vaginal discharge?

Dr. Bhagyashree.B

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am experiencing what started out a yeast infection, itchy burning cottage cheese looking discharge that was white. I did the one night treatment and noticed the next day that my discharge was still the same consistency but know looked like blood was in it. I took another one day treatment and not my discharge is still very itchy and looks likes flesh colored chucks of meat. Oh and I have a XXXXXXX IUD and my cycle is due on or around the 11th.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyashree.B 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please get a pelvic examination

Detailed Answer:
Dear member,
Thanks for writing.
Though candidiasis or thrush is common cause of cheesy discharge occasionally there can be mixed infection with anaerobic bacteria and chlamydia which needs testing and specific treatment.
This is best done by a vaginal examination and doing a culture and sensitivity test of the discharge.
Rarely patients with copper IUD can have endometrium infection too.
You may need combined treatment with clotrimazole and clindamycin pessary for mixed infection and oral antibiotics too depending on the culture and sensitivity result of the infection.
Please consult your gynaecologist at the earliest.
Please write back if you have any queries.
Thanks
Dr Bhagyashree
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyashree.B 2 hours later
After I put some of the yeast cream on the outside of the my vagina I haven't experienced the itching anymore. I know for sure I don't have std as I was just checked about 3 weeks ago. I should have mentioned that I have a history of BV. Thanks so much for the answer.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyashree.B 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Dear member,
Thanks for writing.
you can use the vaginal pessary which contains clindamycin and clotrimazole combination . Available as three or 7 day therapy. That should help.
Also consider taking oral lactobacilli or another probiotic so that the normal bacteria number improve in vaginal canal and decrease the bacteria vaginosis.
Please continue application of clotrimazole ointment to the vulva for atleast a week and use a mild soap to wash the area.
Please write back if you have any concerns
Thanks
Dr Bhagyashree