What causes changing of stool color and stomach pain?

Oncologist
Question
MY STOOL HAS CHANGED COLOR FOR THE PAST WEEK OR SO. HAS STOMACH PAIN FROM TIME TO TIME...NOTHING SEVERE. I ALSO HAVE DIVERTICULITSIS (EXCURE SPELLING). WHAT CAN YOU CONCLUDE FOR THE INFORMATION BEING PROVIDED.
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Considerations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

The most bothersome issue with changing of color of stool is the possibility of bleeding. If there is bleeding sometimes we see very dark stool that has a tarry consistency. that is one consideration.

Another consideration would be some type of malabsorption. This sometimes can happen if there is inflammation of the pancreas.

If you have associated pain with changing your stool this is something which I think it needs to be investigated.

I would suggest that you sit down with your primary care physician for a good focused physical examination and discussion of your symptoms.

sometimes we use laboratory studies to help narrow the diagnosis.

If you are experiencing these symptoms for prolonged period of time I think it is definitely helpful for you to talk to your doctor about this. It doesn't sound like this is anything serious at this point but I think it does need to be explored.

Thank you again for sharing your healthcare concern.

Dr. G