What causes change in voice of a 84 year old?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My singing voice is not working. I can't seem to reach the notes I think I'mreaching. I'm 84 years old.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Voice change

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that your voice has changed, Specifically your singing voice. It is very common to have changes in voice when over using it while singing and can cause calluses on the vocal cords. I recommend that you see an ENT doctor to visualize your vocal cords. This can be done in the doctors office and may discover why you can't sing well. In the mean time I recommend resting your voice. If you must sing them it is very important that you not stress your voice and do warm up exercises prior to singing.

In summary
1. Change in singing voice due to calluses on vocal cords
2. See ENT for evaluation
3. warm up voice prior to singing
4. Rest voice.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 6 hours later
I don't do a lot of singing-mostly just at Mass a s part of the congregation, and as I live alone, I don't do a lot of talking-just a. Brief chat with my son who visits every night. I was a teacher, though, for many years and did many workshops as a teacher trainer in addition to working with K-6 children. So I don't think rest is the answer..
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visualize the vocal cords

Detailed Answer:
I think then that your vocal cords needs to be evaluated by an ENT doctor. You may still have some callus formation or a polyp on your vocal cords.