What causes cellulitis infection?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: what causes cellulitis
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infection from staphylococcus and streptococcus...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will answer at your questions.

The main reasons for an infection of the skin and the layers beneath the skin (cellulitis) are infections from two types of bacteria,staphylococcus or streptococcus. (rarely other types of bacteria have been found)

Usually it happens where the skin is damaged, such as the skin near ulcers or surgical wounds,or in diabetes patients or in patients with disease such as with chronic leg swelling. It can affect the hole body,but legs are one of the most frequently parts that gets cellulitis.

I see that you are taking Warfarin. In your case a differential diagnose needs to be done. In patients that takes warfarin (anticoagulant/blood thinner) sometimes in the skin or in the layers beneath the skin,blood is accumulated and the patient might think that it is cellulitis.

Uou just need to consult your physician (any doctor can do the differential diagnose just with a physical exam) and if diagnosis of cellulitis is confirmed,he will start you on antibiotics like amoxicillin, cephalexin ect.

If left untreated it might cause an abscess that needs a drainage from a surgeon or even worse,spread in our blood and the hole body.

If you have any other question,feel free to ask me.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T