What causes carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi I have tingling (pins and needles) in my right hand Mainly on the thumb and pointer finger. Doesn't seem to radiate up my arm tho. Has occasionally affected my left hand in last 48hrs too.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

If you would have presented to me as an outpatient,I would have told that -this is early stage of 'carpal tunnel syndrome' or median neuropathy at the wrist.

Please undergo Nerve conduction studies(NCS) of upper limbs with carpal tunnel protocol,and the findings in NCS will establish the diagnosis.

Also,get screened for these conditions which are common causes of CTS-
Hypothyroidism
Diabetes
Obesity
Arthritis

And rare disorders like amyloidosis.Please get screened for common disorders.

Management-
1)Decreased activity involving hands.Intense hand use like cutting vegetables and other such activities where hand works persistently,worsen the symptoms.
2)Splintage of wrist during night.
3)Medicines like pregabalin or amitriptyline.ALL MEDICINES TO BE TAKEN UNDER PHYSICIAN'S GUIDANCE.

These management steps will suffice for early stage.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer else,please close the thread-rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D