Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

What causes calf pain while climbing stairs?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Hi I walked up some steps and felt a sharp pain at the back of my calftendonitis.I have booked a physio tomorrow.AND applied R.I.C.E can she diagnose this or should I see a Dr?thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most propably, a soft tissue strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX It could be mostly due to a soft tissue strain (possibly a muscle) or a cramp. The treatment for either of the conditions is as follows - - Take Rest and do not do any activities that cause pain, till the acute pain subsides - Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin. - Take ibuprofen (Advil) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help relieve pain - Use moist heat fomentation over the painful area when you are returning to physical activity. Then use it before stretching. Gentle heating can help loosen the muscle - When the acute pain is gone, start gentle stretching exercises. Stay within pain limits. Hold each stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 6 times. - Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. - Gentle massaging of the painful area with a painkiller cream may provide swift relief Your symptoms should resolve with the above measures. If not, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarification Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor