What causes calf pain in a patient with strep throat?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My 13 yr old son is having calf/Achilles pain out of nowhere this morning. He was having flu/strep throat symptoms and prescribed antibiotic friday. He played baseball game last night and was fine. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What antibiotics is he taking?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have reported. Is he sable to walk on his legs? If that is possible, then may not have too much to be afraid of at this time.

Antibiotics can cause tendon problems. I will like you to report to me which antibiotics he's on.

Sports could be a reason for the pain, either from excessive use during play or from an injury. I will recommend that you go ahead and administer tylenol for pain relief. Also, ice packs would offer great relief to him.

I hope this helps. I wish your son well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. I await responses to the above questions for more insights and recommendations.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
He is taking amoxicillin. Nothing really happened at the baseball game and he seemed fine last night. He has been resting a lot, but this seemed weird. He is not able to put much weight on it. Painful for me to massage it or move his foot much.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest pain medications and observe!

Detailed Answer:

Amoxicillin cannot cause tendon problems. This is acute pain with no history of trauma. I will suggest that you give him Tylenol and Ibuprofen(at least thrice daily) as recommended by his pharmacist. If he fails to improve significantly after 24 hours, then get him in for detailed examination and testing. I believe it is inflamed tendon and rest alongside pain medications is enough for now.

I wish him well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ivo Ditah