What causes calf pain at night with severe arthritis?

Excellent

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
I have peripheral neuropathy and severe arthritis in the knee. I am 82 years old and have been having calf pain for the past few nights. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to abnormal walking/standing posture.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on clinical history and symptoms, my opinion is as follows:
1. As pain is limited only to the nights, i would suspect abnormal position due to muscle imbalance. Your posture to increase comfort for knee arthritis, would be increasing pressure on the calf muscles.
2. As there is no history of injury or jumping, i would not suspect calf muscle strain.

However, if the injury is continuously present at all time and you are not moving around and mostly on bed, then I will be concerned about deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Its a condition in which clot formation occurs in the calf muscle area, leading to severe pain and further systemic complications.

Always try to remain XXXXXXX use knee support and proper posture while walking. Use proper shoes, even inside too. Peripheral neuropathy would not usually cause calf muscle pain.
Take good amount of fluids during day time.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM