What causes buzzing like sensation in brain, memory loss and disrupted sleep patterns?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: What would cause a buzzing like sensation, almost a jolt when falling asleep or just waking up. It's more in the brain than the ears. I am also experiencing memory loss, especially with names. I also have very disrupted sleep patterns getting as little as 3 or 4 hours per night , several nights in a row. I have not had more than 6 hrs of sleep in one night for years.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Looking at that description I can confidently say that that type of jolt you describe is not a manifestation of any brain lesion. That doesn't mean that it is uncommon, it is a common complaint, many patients refers these zaps or jolts. However they don't indicate any particular condition and most commonly are associated with anxiety or insomnia. Anxiety is also the most common cause of insomnia, difficulty falling or maintaining sleep.

Regarding medication you say to have taken sleep aids, but none of the medications you list do anything for sleep (or anxiety). They are merely pain killers but you do not seem to describe any pain really.

So I think you should consult a neurologist or psychiatrist. Given your memory issues some neuropsychological tests (sort of questionnaires testing different areas of cognition) should be done to check for impairment of memory or other cognitive functions, indicators of dementia. If nothing of the kind is found then I believe anxiety and insomnia should be addressed through the use of a true sleep aid or antianxiety medication, possibly one with also sedating propertiees to help sleep, like amitriptylin.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.