• question-icon

What causes burping after stopping Arimidex intake?

Posted on Mon, 28 Apr 2014 in Breast Cancer
Question: I finished taking Arimidex 2 months ago (after 3 years) and as soon as I stopped I started burping a lot! I was reading that it might be related to a hormonal imbalance and since the Arimidex stopped my hormones, maybe now they are coming back and it's causing an imbalance? I'm 58 and had estrogen and progesterone positive breast cancer (I'm in remission)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to hormonal changes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The change in the hormones after stopping Arimidex can be the cause of your indigestion and burping. The progesterone released now can cause slowing of intestinal motility thus causing the abdominal distension and burping. This can be controlled by doing few dietary modifications and taking small frequent meals. Avoid overindulging in alcohol, drinking carbonated beverages or eating while stressed, since all of these can just worsen the problems Stop smoking and lose weight if you need to. • Eat papaya.(contains an enzyme called papain), XXXXXXX cider vinegar, eating an ounce of almonds, etc will help. • For treatment of indigestion- Pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger juice, grapes, etc may be taken after every meal for relief.Otherwise take antacids and digestive enzymes on regular basis for relief. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
Thank you! Do you know if this is something that will resolve itself on its own, or is it something that I will have to deal with long-term? I have to admit that it makes me nervous that I have all this progesterone loose now. My white counts never came back to normal after Chemo. so I don't have a lot of protection there; and now that I don't have Arimidex to protect me from the hormones I'm worried about a recurrence. I eat healthy whole foods, very little sugar, very rarely any alcohol, and exercise, etc. Stress on the job is my biggest problem. Your information is very much appreciated and I thank you for the tips on controlling & treating this problem - if you have any last advice - I'd appreciate it; but if not, I'm happy with the advice you've given me already.
Brief Answer: Decreasing stress will help. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The indigestion that you have will gradually resolve on its own. Decreasing the stress levels in your life will help. You can start with yoga deep breathing exercises and aerobics for relaxation. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN