What causes burning senstaion during urination?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have burning when I pee. It has been constant for a week now. My urine tests were both clear, so doctors say they can do nothing. I suspect it may be caused by rubbing alcohol getting in my urethra. If so, will this clear up by itself?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to inflammation of Urethra (Urethritis).

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have burning urination since one week after accidental contact of alcohol in urethra.

This is mostly due to inflammation of urethra due to allergic reaction to alcohol. It might clear up, however for faster recovery I suggest you take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

This should get cured within a week.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 32 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. I have trimethoprim. Just curious, if the trimethoprim will prevent UTIs, why do I need the other antibiotic as well?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take Trimethoprim .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

You can take Trimethoprin as a substitute to Cefixime .The other drug Nitrofurantoin is urinary antiseptic and combination od two drugs always works better than a single drug.

Diclofenac is anti inflammatory drug and helps to reduce inflammation .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj