What causes burning sensations on the chest and stomach area despite being on Prednisone?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My name is XXXXXXX I have been to the ER twice in the last month or so for symptoms similar to when I had shingles a year ago. (I am 60 years old). My chest and stomach area get the burning, restless skin, sensitive skin feeling at night time when I lay down. I was prescribed the Valtrex dosage the first time as well as tramadol since it seems to work if I take one each night. The Valtrex did nothing. Now I am on a 5 day dosage of 20mg prednisone and I do not think it is working either. The tramadol does work but I need a better solution. This is a very weird symptom I have but it reminds me a lot of the shingles symtom but no rash and it is my whole front abdomen and not just 1/2 way around like before. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Postherpetic neuralgia, Gabapentin & Amitriptyline

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your complaints and these symptoms could be due to post herpetic neuralgia associated with shingles.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take a tablet.

Gabapentin twice daily along with tablet Amitriptyline 5 mg at bedtime.

These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.

This should help in improving the burning and sensitivity.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 13 hours later
How long would I need to be on this medication? Would I eventually be cured or is this more like a chronic problem do you think? Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic condition but can be cured, medicines for 4-6 months

Detailed Answer:

It is a chronic condition but can be cured.
You need to take medicines for atleast 4-6 months.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad