What causes burning sensation with pink-colored urine while urinating?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hey actually i had an issue and i already posted my query. I have observed some more symptoms. Whenever i drink less water and go to urinate i feel burning sensation and pink color urine. Constipation is also another cause.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If you are feeling urinary burning and there is a pink color to the urine, then you should go in to have a urinalysis. The doctor can usually do an initial "dipstick" urine test while you wait, which can give an indication of if there is a bladder infection or other causes, but then the urine should be sent for a full urinalysis and if there were signs of infection, a culture and sensitivity test also.

When you say that constipation is also another cause, do you mean that constipation makes you have pink urine or that it causes you to go more frequently, or something else?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Actually i have been taking protein shakes and now i feel constipated even i dont eat junk and eat healthy food and i feel frequent urge to urinate. Pink urine is not always but only when i dont drink water at all and i really dont know what is causing constipation. what tests should i consider? is it kidney stone? or liver not functioning properly?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Sometimes men will have blood in the urine - can be very small amount or even microscopic which can't be seen with the naked eye without a microscope - as a result of physical exertion. It is usually not a serious problem if that is the cause. But anytime a man has red or pink urine it should be checked with a urinalysis.

Kidney stones are possible, but usually there is some pain in one or the other side or lower abdomen/pelvis.

Changes in diet can cause constipation - might be something in the protein shakes that is binding for your.

For the urinary symptoms, I recommend the tests I discussed above (urinalysis and culture). For the constipation, consider discontinuing the protein shakes for a week or two and see if that makes a difference. Increase fruits and vegetables also.

Another cause of the urinary symptoms can be the prostate if it is inflamed, particularly if you are sexually active. If that is the case, an exam and STD tests can help sort the problem out.

I don't think the liver is contributing to the problems you are describing.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 6 minutes later
i have stopped taking protein shakes since 3 months but still i feel constipated. I am not sexually involved and i am just 20 so could it be STD?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
You write that you feel constipated. Are you actually constipated or is it a feeling of being bloated? Difficultly moving your bowels? Hard stools? Please describe what you mean by feel constipated, thanks.

If you are not sexually active, then it would not be an STD.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
i am not able to lose all bowels. i feel something is there in my stomach that is not coming out since a very long time (3 months). I have less bowel movement even i have tried laxatives
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Best to go in to have an abdominal exam when you go in to have the urinalysis. It's possible that you have less volume to pass because of eating less or not having the protein shakes perhaps.

You definitely must go in to be checked because of the pink urine, and while there for that exam, tell the doctor about the constipated feeling and he or she will (or should) also do an abdominal exam.