What causes burning sensation while urination and itchy urethra?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello. I woke up last Sunday and had a horrible burn at the start of uriniation. On Thursday morning the meatus was swollen. I went to urgent care they took urine sample and gave me levofloaxine. I just took my 4th dose. I am still having the swelling and burn while urinating. Also clear discharge. I have had a ngu before. I am in a same sex marriage so i am more at risk for e coli bacteria. But i have never had the swelling and this amount of burnnig. Some more history. Before the burn i had itching in the urethra and a bad fishy smelling urine. Wondering what this could be and when will it go away. I have included some photos.
The pain and swelling is also off and on. The morning is the worst. The more fluid i drink and the more i urinate the more it goes away. Also the redness and swelling is on the top portion of the urethra opening and i feel the burn about an inch down from the head.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is anterior Urethritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for providing the clinical picture. From the description given by you and clinical lesion seen it appears to be anterior Urethritis possibly .

I would suggest you the following which will be helpful

1. Hot Seitz bath : To a tub of lukewarm water add handful of common table salt. Sit in it for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat it twice a day.

2. Local application of combination of Betamethasone and Framycetin ointment

3. Antibiotics : Tablet Azithromycin 1 gm single dose . Followed by Tablet Doxycycline twice a day for 10 days will be helpful.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS, MD