What causes burning sensation on the side of scrotum?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: 2 days ago i woke up with a burning sensation on the left side of my scrotum. The surrounding skin is dry as if it lost its elasticity. It hurts to walk and shower. What is this and how can i treat it?
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's an acute inflammatory skin change.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, let me advise you, that such redness over the scrotal skin, is probably an acute inflammatory lesion of the skin, mostly an infection.
Avoid moisture over the area. You should not wet the area also.
You must get it examined by a skin specialist, or an Urologist.
Only after an examination, a proper treatment can be advised.
You will need an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory analgesic medicine.
Keep the scrotum elevated, in case you're having pain within the scrotal sac.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Do you suggest going to a dermstologist or a urologist? Thank you for your response!
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
visit specialist quickly.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Both are competent to treat you.
Don't delay the visit any further.
What are the consequences f left untreated?i
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complications will worsen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
If left alone, the entire skin over the area will come off, leaving a large, painful, ulcerated raw area.
Daily dressings and treatment of fever with chills are likely.
If the testis is involved, that may also need to be treated.
Recovery time will be about one month.
Wish you well.