What causes burning sensation in vagina while on antibiotics?
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.
The vaginal symptoms you describe, which you have observed occur in conjunction with taking antibiotics, sound suspicious for vaginal yeast infection. This can happen commonly after taking antibiotics. I would suggest visiting your doctor to confirm that this is in fact the case, then get a prescription for an antifungal medicine. Then, this way in the future whenever you must take another course of antibiotics you can request that an antifungal medicine also be provided for you to have on hand in case you develop another vaginal infection presenting with these same symptoms. As you mentioned, taking probiotics supplements might be helpful also for long term maintenence/management of healthy vaginal flora. I would not recommend using any type of numbing cream to the area, but you could try an over the counter vaginal antifungal cream for more immediate relief while you wait to see your physician. Prevention will be important in avoiding these symptoms in the future.
Your physician may consider prescribing fluconazole (Diflucan), which is only available by prescription, with the option of refills for you to have on hand. Prescription strength fluconazole is not available over the counter. Fungal creams which may be effective in helping with the symptoms are usually preparations of miconazole.
I hope you're feeling better soon.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes frequent urination with burning sensation in vagina
- What causes inflammation in vagina
- What causes burning sensation inside of the vagina
- What causes atopobium vaginae
- What causes itching and burning of vulva vagina and urethra
- What causes burning in vagina heavy discharge and constipation
- What causes razor blade sensations in my vagina
- What causes lumps in vagina
- What causes burning sensation in vagina while having sex
- What causes severe itching and burning in the vagina
- Is chemo-therapy effective in treatment of carcinoma of the esophagus?
- What does a lump on nipple indicate?
- What causes MGUS with a M-spike of .2?
- Suggest treatment for depression with anxiety
- What causes high BP and low platelet count?
- Suggest treatment for stage 4 rectal cancer
- Can Arimidex usage cause raised bumps on arms and neck?
- What does low WBC count indicate?
- Does Gleason of 9 and PSA of 96 indicate prostate cancer?
- Does my blood work indicate cancer?