What causes burning sensation in upper stomach before menstruation?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor my upper stomach burns just before my periods would start. Around 2 to 10 days before my menstrual cycle starts. Me and my husband are trying to conceive from 7 months although some months have not been regular in them. I never felt this burning pain all through out the month like I am feeling now.
Could you please help me in letting know what can be the reason behind this?
After started having IC, things have changed a lot in my body, I have put on weight even with exercise and this upper stomach burning is causing pain as well. Could you please help me on this?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastric reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Burning in the upper stomach is likely due to gastric acid reflux. It is common in the second half of the menstrual cycle due to the effect of the progesterone hormone (which is increased in the second half of the cycle) on the lower esophagus (food pipe). It is the common cause of upper gastric burning and pain.

Chances of conception are 20-25 % in each cycle, so usually a couple is investigated for infertility only after one year of successful unprotected intercourse.

You both should follow fertile period, which is from day 8-day 22 of the cycle,and have intercourse every alternate day in this period to maximise chances of conception.

You should take folic acid 5 mg tablet a day, as taking it preconceptionally reduces the chances of congenital anomalies in the baby.

Your husband can take capsules containing coenzyme Q to improvise sperm motility and hence increase the chances of conception.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor for your quick and apt response.
Is there any tablet names that i can take regarding the folic acid and my husband for coenzyme Q?
Also is acid reflux can be a sign of pregnancy?

Thanks
XXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brand names specified

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Folic acid comes in various brands like folvite, folgel, biopreg-F. You can take any one of them.
Coenzyme Q comes in the brand name of Co-Q forte, Bio-Q-Forte etc. One of them can be taken.
Acid reflux is a symptom in pregnancy, but it usually occurs only after few weeks of pregnancy, around 6-7 weeks.
You can get back to me later for health related queries by asking a direct question to me on health care magic portal.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 29 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. So does it mean if we experience gastric reflux while ttc, it's just a sign of our menstrual period coming close? Since i have heard that pregnancy symptoms are quite similar to menstrual period symptoms.
Thanks doctor for your help!
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
gastric reflux is a very non specific symptom

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, yes gastric reflux is a very non specific symptom, and is said to be associated with pregnancy only when the pregnancy is confirmed by urine pregnancy test or ultrasound.
Wishing you both all the best.
Dr Deepti Verma