What causes burning sensation in throat and lungs while breathing?

Dr. Moumita Chakraborty,MD

Posted on Fri, 5 Dec 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: It burns in the throat and lungs when I breathe. Plus, it's difficult to take deep breaths.
Answered by Dr. Moumita Chakraborty,MD 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gerd/Pleurisy

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam,

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

I understand your concern and read your query.After reading your condition i came to two provisional diagnosis ;

1)Gastroesophageal reflux disease- The acid in the stomach might be causing this problem.

a)Try taking omeprazole or pantoprazole for a week.
b)Smaller and more frequent meals
c)Sit in a vertical position for half an hour after eating a heavy meal.
d)Drink lots of water(if no restriction)
c)Do not drink alcohol or smoke cigarette
d)Beverages such as tea or coffee should be avoided.
e)Elevate the head of the bed about 4 to 6 inches.

2)Pleurisy-This is infection in the covering layer of your lungs,which might cause friction when you breathe causing pain.

If i were to be your doctor ,i would have asked for a CT scan/Ultrasonography chest for a better view of it.And then progress with further treatment based on your condition.

Hope i answered your query.Feel free to ask more.
Dr.Moumita Chakraborty

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E