What causes burning sensation in the upper chest and back?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My mother, 80 years of age is experiencing a burning sensation in her upper chest and back. It's not due to an actual burn or rash or anything visible to the naked eye. The feeling started 5 days ago when she experienced a spike in her blood pressure and was hospitalized for two days. The blood pressure has returned to normal levels, but the burning sensation remains. She currently takes blood pressure medications, an antidepressant and a sleep aid. The hospital said the burning may be caused by anxiety. What do you think it could be?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

What your mother is experiencing may be related to the following causes:
- Cardiac issues
- Gastrointestinal and gallbladder/pancreas issues
- Costochondritis
- Anxiety

If she was my patient I would recommend to do the following examinations to find out what is causing her symptoms:
- Blood work
- Ecg
- Cardiac echo
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Chest x-ray

Can you please upload the results of the examinations she had done at the hospital to help you further with my advice?

Only if all above mentioned exams were negative than her symptoms are related to anxiety.

Wish you and your family health!
Dr. Shehu