What causes burning sensation in the throat and lungs?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a burning sensation in my throat and lungs when I breathe. 4 days ago I was running outside chasing my darn dog in winter and I ended up coughing and my lungs burned. Since then i have a burning sensation in my lungs and throat as i breathe also I feel like i am getting a bit of heartburn. Any suggestions. Its a very weird feeling also I have a small cough coming on.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastro esophageal reflux disease with heartburn and gastritis most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM for your query!

Most likely your symptoms are because of Gatro esophageal reflux disease (GERD),It is a chronic digestive disease. GERD occurs when stomach acid or, occasionally, stomach content, flows back into your food pipe . The backwash irritates the lining of your esophagus and causes, heart burn,chest pain and intense burning sensation in throat are often the presenting complaints however every patient does not have all symptoms.Both acid reflux and heart burn are a part of GERD.
Ask your gastroenterologist to start you on pantroprazole or esomeprazole,Pantoprazole can be used in dosage as high as 40 mg twice daily ,Ash him to add Domepridome 30mg slow release once daily,This will slow down the reflux of acid back and would provide symptomatic relief.An antacid containing local anaesthetic could be added to drug regimen.All these drugs can be considered by your gastroentrologist to provide you with symptomatic relief.Ask your gastroenterologist to take the suggestions and follow them for 21 days;If not relieved a upper G.I endoscopyand USG abdomen should be done.

Apart from medicines few other life style changes are adviced-
- Increase XXXXXXX warm water intake
- Do not drink water during and after meals
- Eat small meals (rich in fiber),Avoid spicy,oily and heavy meals.
- Eat plentiful "fresh oranges" and "pear "
- Drink COLD milk and and AVOID junk food.
- avoid beverages / alcohol/ soft drinks
- do some exercise early in the morning
- avoid carbonated drinks

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy