What causes burning sensation in the throat and chest?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I keep getting burning sensation from throat till chest. Even while taking meals I feel uneasy of this burning sensation. Sometimes nausea tic , indigestion.     
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms suggestive of acid reflux...

Detailed Answer:

The described symptoms suggest GERD. Here the undigested and acidic contents of the stomach regurgitates into the food pipe and causes irritation. This leads to burning, discomfort and uneasiness.

It is usually a chronic condition which needs lifestyle modification as treatment. To begin with, you can try a course of proton pump inhibitor drugs. I would start esomeprazole 40mg tablets once a day half an hour before breakfast for a period of 3 weeks along with domperidone twice a day before food for a week. The drugs mentioned are prescription based medicine. Your local doctor will know about it.

Along with the specified treatment, you should start life style changes that I talked about. It includes:
1. Eating small and more frequent food instead of large and heavy full meals.
2. Reducing amount of spices and beverages.
3. Cutting down on smoking and alcohol (if any)
4. Maintaining body weight under normal acceptable standards.
5. Avoid going to the bed immediately after dinner. Have your dinner atleast couple of hours before sleep.
6. Including physical exercise to the daily schedule.

Please implement the changes at the earliest. It would be worthwhile to get an endoscopy done if things don't improve.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr. Prasad