• question-icon

What causes burning sensation in the sternum area?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hello every night that my dad is going to bed he gets some pain in chest a weird feeling like burning itching a multiple feeling he cant sleep during all day he is okay but at night he gets that pain my dad also has no working kidneys so he is going in hospiyal for blood filtering every other day his kidney filtering doctors told him to do a gastroscope in stomach but rarher than that they did not give him any more info im worrying
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It appears to be a gastritis and reflux disease

Detailed Answer:
It appears to be gastritis and reflux disease. To confirm this, he ll need endoscopy for which he needs to visit gastroenterologists.
He should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. Elevate head end of the bed or use pillows during rest and sleep.
He should get prescribed tab Pan DSR 40 mg or esomiprazole domperidone combination beforebreakfast once a day for 2 weeks if not receiving. If not adequately relieved, then he should add Syr sucral O or gelusil two teaspoon three times a day for a week.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 4 hours later
why that only happens to him when he go to bed ? he is losing sleep and its very tough to go for blood filtering 6 hours without sleep
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Because, reflux happen after one assumes sleeping position

Detailed Answer:
Acid refluxes more when one assumes reclining position. Also, reflux tends to worse at night after dinner due to excessive acid production.
Sleeping will not affect kidney function, filtering continues even if one is not sleeping. Increased urea also increases acid production.
One ecg should be done if not done recently just to rule out cardiac disease objectively.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 27 hours later
today i found my dad on the floor he was not fainted but he was very bad now he is okay for some minutes he was not understanding not answering he was white and weak any tips if that happens again i called ambulance but qhen he was ok he canceled it
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its probably a type of syncope

Detailed Answer:
Its probably a type of syncope, other possibiliy is nonconvulsive seizures.
He should be evaluated in hospital. Did he has any movement of limbs, frothing at mouth, any stress, dehydration etc which has precipitated this syncope. Any history of significant medical problems or abnormalities in investigations.
Next time if this happens or even if he developed dizziness he should immediately lie down and if any frothing at mouth or loss of consciousness then he should made to lie down on one side. His legs should be lifted immediately so as to increase blood supply to brain. He should have plenty of water, fluids. Avoid dehydration.
Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist