• question-icon

What causes burning sensation in the rectum?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Good Morning, I'm really not sure where or who I choose as a specialty without going into some detail and hopefully you'll know who to refer me to. In late March I had what I thought to be the beginning signs of a yeast infection so went to my GP and saw his PA. She examined me and said I didn't have yeast and was in fact able to do a pap smear on me which come back ok. The itching and burning was on the outside only and more toward my rectum area. She gave me a steroid cream and said if it didn't clear up or come back later they may refer me to a GYN. It did clear up or subside after using the steroid cream. Then in Early May I had a bladder infection which cleared up with 10 days of meds. In mid XXXXXXX I got again what seemed like another yeast infection and was then referred to a GYN who on XXXXXXX 18th placed me on Premarin Cream. On XXXXXXX 20th I began to have what appeared a reaction with intense itching on vaginal area, stomach, inner thighs and hands (fingers were swollen). Come off the Premarin and was told to use cortisone cream on all areas externally. Over the next few days it only got worse and more intense, ended up in emergency room on the 24th, was given high dose of steroids while there and sent home with prescription of 20mg twice daily of steroids and Hydroxyzine 25mg 3 times daily. Steroids seemed to have kicked in early hours of 25th and I was relatively comfortable rest of day and into night. Awoke at 4:10 this morning with itching to all areas again. I do have a follow-up with the GYN today. To complicate things further I'm scheduled for back surgery on the 6th of July and I've got a call into his office as I'm sure they'll want to postpone the surgery until this other matter is cleared up. I have no idea what specialty doctor to turn to.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need an immunologist.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Considering your age, there is a possibility of dryness causing irritation. Since you are needing steroids repeatedly, I would ask you to see an immunologist for proper evaluation of the reaction.

Also, you should test for blood sugar levels. The thinner lining is mostly responsible for the repeated infection.

Oral antihistamine is useful to control the itching. Olive oil preparations can be used to relieve itching over dry areas.

Please go ahead with your scheduled appointment and plan further management.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN