What causes burning sensation in the lower left abdomen and back pain?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a burning sensation in my lower left abdomen. The burning sensation feels like someone is touching my skin with a hot knife. It does not feel as though it is internal. I shaved the area to see if anything was visible,I could not see any cuts or signs of irritation. The only thing I have done is strain the small of my back shoveling snow. Both the burning sensation and the back pain became apparent at about the same time.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT and MRI of spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted your history, Medical History, Current Medications, Allergies and understood the concerns well.
With history of prostate cancer I would advise you the following with explanation:
CT and MRI of the spine to see if there is any nerve entrapment, compression, secondaries in the spine.
This is so as the presentation is of burning sensation with feeling of touching the skin with with hot knife, without any rash at the moment indicate for nerve problem.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
With Regards.